Books On Wheels
Unable to get to the library? Let us bring the library to you!
Do you need books, large print or recorded books delivered to your residence because of mobility issues or illness? The Pelham Public Library offers two services which could be of help:
- Books on Wheels – Personal Delivery Service
Library staff will select materials based on your individual request or reading preferences. A volunteer will deliver those items to your place of residence every four weeks at a mutually agreeable time. The Library will retain a profile of your reading interests and materials borrowed to ensure service satisfaction. This information will be collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of providing the home delivery service.
- Homebound Access Card
An authorized individual can take out books on behalf of a homebound person and receive the special lending privileges (More details below).
Who is Eligible?
The following individuals may qualify for the library delivery program:
- Individuals who are homebound due to frailty or any type of disability
- Individuals who are convalescing, or suffering from an illness or injury, long term or short term (short term must be longer than the borrowing period)
- Persons with mobility issues
Homebound Lending Parameters:
If you already have a library card, your account must be in good standing before the Books on Wheels service can commence.
Materials for loan include:
- Regular and large print books
- Audiobooks and Playaways
- DVDs older than 6 months
Due to the special nature of the service, fines are waived for homebound users; however users are responsible for any loss or damages to the materials borrowed. The borrowing period for all materials is four weeks.
What is not included
- Current bestsellers, new non-fiction, new DVDs, and magazines
- Delivery of any non-library materials such as mail, prescriptions, or groceries
How to Apply
Interested in the Books on Wheels service for yourself or someone you know? Choose one of the following ways to start the process:
- Contact Melanie Taylor-Ridgway
- Print a copy of the Books on Wheels Application Form.
- Stop at the Library and pick up a copy of the Books on Wheels Application Form.
- Complete the online Books on Wheels application form.
The Outreach Services Policy can be found on our Library Policies page.