The Pelham Historical Society
The Pelham Historical Society was established in 1975 with the objective of encouraging interest in and knowledge of the historical heritage of the Town of Pelham. To accomplish this purpose, the Society has researched Pelham’s past, collected artifacts and documents for preservation, and disseminated the information collected by public meetings, displays and publications. From 1997 it has done this work in close partnership with the Pelham Public Library.
The Society’s collection of books, archives and pictures is housed in the Maple Acre branch in Fenwick. Most of the material is open to the public for browsing and research, though for access to the archival papers, an appointment with a Society member is needed. Genealogical information can be found in the cabinet of vertical files in the Fonthill branch, together with news clippings and articles on many aspects of Pelham’s history.
The Society maintains a display case for exhibiting photographs, documents and artifacts from its collection in the foyer of the Fonthill branch.
The Library also partnered with the Society in a project to digitize some of the Society’s records. The Pelham Historical Calendar, which contains research and personal memories about the Town collected and published from 1977- 2001, and material from the Pelham High School yearbook between 1933 and 1950 can now be accessed online: http://vitacollections.ca/pelhamlocalhistory/search