Position Title: Director of Community Engagement, Lincoln Regional Manager
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Grade Level: 104
The Director of Community Engagement is responsible for smooth delivery of programming and events for the library system. This includes routine supervision and training of programming staff; policy development; seeking out community partnerships; all aspects of program and services development and facilities management for the Lincoln branches.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In rotation with Director of Customer Experience, acts as Chief Executive Officer in absence of same.
- May act as signatory for official documents.
- Engages in short and long-term planning with CEO in all aspects of library including personnel, training, systems, collections, and facilities.
- Prepare monthly and yearly program statistical reports for the Library Board.
- Tracks and reports on various aspects of budget: staffing hours, grant spreadsheets, programming.
- Drafts policy recommendations for the Library Board.
- Staffing: supervises programming staff; assists in the implementation of policies and procedures; allocates tasks as required; participates in hiring process; provides staff training, evaluation and development plans for programming department.
- Assists in budget development.
- Researches and prepares grants as required.
- Develops, plans, coordinates with programming staff, programs and events based on the library’s goals and objectives at all locations.
- Research best practices for outreach and community work in public libraries. Identify community needs, trends and demographics, and develop a community engagement strategy.
- Ensures accurate and timely addition of program listings and information to website calendar for promotion and online registration. Provides input into the content and design of program promotional materials.
- May deliver programs for all ages at any library locations and off-site venues as required.
- Plans and delivers in-house tours, represents the Lincoln Pelham Public Library through visits and presentations in the community
- May be required to seek/plan sponsorship or funding opportunities as directed.
- Coordinates the assessment of program requirements, reviewing program success, assisting with set-up and take down as needed, and coordinates program logistics.
- Coordinates the purchase of program materials, presenter costs and establishes program fees to recover appropriate costs in consultation with Library management. Ensures appropriate policies are followed to arrange for payment.
- Researches and prepares grant applications at the direction of Library Management to support programming efforts.
- Ensures that programming statistics are being recorded accurately and consistently.
- Oversees and plans for the use of the library vehicle for outreach programming.
- Liaises with individuals, community groups, and Town departments to arrange outreach events and programs.
- Build relationships with individuals, community organizations and businesses to deepen their understanding of the value of libraries, and to strengthen the Library’s understanding of community needs.
- Coordinate the Library’s engagement activities at community events and manage community-based initiatives to ensure that they meet community needs.
- Seek opportunities to promote the Library through presentations to community organizations, Councils and service groups. Be the Library’s main liaison with its Friends of the Library groups.
- Oversight of all programs and services delivered by staff under existing budgetary guidelines. Coordinates program proposals and may deliver existing programs.
- Responsible for consistent service delivery at Lincoln branches.
- Coordinates and deploys representation of library to municipality, public, media and the community as needed.
Human Resource Management
- Recruits, interviews, supervises, trains, coaches, mentors programming staff members.
- Approves requests for absence and programming schedules.
- Actively evaluates the performance of all direct reports and administers the performance appraisal process, identifies performance concerns and required corrective action.
- Ensures that attendance and/or performance issues are monitored/managed according to corporate policy.
- Assigns and monitors quality and completion of work.
- With the CEO ensures all physical plant at both Lincoln facilities is maintained.
- Acts as liaison with physical plant maintenance contractors as needed.
- Acts as liaison with Facilities Coordinator at the Town of Lincoln.
- Maintains an annual maintenance schedule for Lincoln branches.
- Coordinates with Admin Assistant to order and purchase supplies and equipment related to facilities operation according to Town of Lincoln procedures.
- Acts as liaison with janitorial services for the Lincoln branches.
- Purchasing authority for program supplies and presenters as per budget guidelines according to Library procedures and policies.
- Administers the approved staffing budget for the programming department.
- Serves as a point of contact for Lincoln Branch services and customers as needed. This includes the facilities, technology and staff. Reports all problems to the appropriate Manager/Director.
- Ensures that behavioural issues of challenging customers are dealt with effectively and respectfully in accordance with the established guidelines.
- Participates in collection development.
- Acts as liaison with library marketing staff on advertising programming in print and electronic formats.
- Acts as liaison with support groups as required, supervises and allocates tasks to volunteers as needed.
- Occasional local and regional travel required.
- Establishes and maintains harmonious relations with staff, Library Board, volunteers and public.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of the work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the activities, duties or responsibilities required by the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other additional or other duties as required.
Equipment Use: software packages – word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, databases; systems hardware; personal computers, printers; chromebooks; e-readers, fax machine; photocopier; scanner; cash register; alarm function
The Director of Community Engagement supervises and directs the workflow of all programming staff in all locations within position and library guidelines. The Lincoln Regional Manager supervises and directs public service staff at both Lincoln locations on their day-to-day tasks and service delivery.
- Education: Masters Degree in Library Science is preferred. A combination of equivalent education and experience is also acceptable.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years public library experience with a focus on programming and outreach. Increased supervisory roles.
- Minimum three years public library experience.
- Minimum two years supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Integrated Library Systems such as Evergreen an asset.
- Public relations experience an asset.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation.
- Administrative, managerial and public service experience as asset.
- Must be available evenings and weekends.
- Must have access to reliable transportation for local travel.
- Must present a current clear Criminal Record Check at time of hiring.
- Physical ability and stamina to operate relevant equipment, to retrieve materials and to perform tasks including the lifting and movement of library materials, tables, chairs, and equipment.
- Must present provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except those with a medical or bona fide Human Rights Code exemption.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated competence in keyboarding, software use, computer/circulation systems.
- Supervisory experience.
- Brings diplomatic experience to working with staff and public.
- Possess excellent organizational skills.
- Possess excellent analytical skills.
- High level of adaptability required.
- Ability to work as part of service delivery team.
- 6 month probationary period is required
Compensation: Level 104 range: $88240.00 – $99315.00
Includes a comprehensive benefits package and OMERS pension.